Boite Schools Chorus 2015 One Africa
In 2015 we will launch One Africa, with Lamine Sonko as Artistic Director, featuring music, stories and dance from across the African continent.
The Boîte is a not for profit organisation which for 35 years has supported artists from diverse cultural communities who now call Australia home. It is also committed to encouraging active participation in the arts, mainly through singing. It is best known for the annual, statewide Boîte Millennium Chorus, the Boîte World Music Cafe, the Boîte Singers’ Festival in Daylesford each January and now the Boîte Schools Chorus.
1. Submit your no obligation Expression of Interest in Boite Schools Chorus 2015 by clicking Submit your interest
2. The Boîte will organise clusters of about 15 schools creating choirs of 200-300 singers in both Melbourne and regional Victoria. Smaller choirs can be accommodated provided special funding is obtained.
3. The Boite will organise 4 dates for your school calendar as follows:
• PD Session - Held in the beginning of Term 2 (April/ May)
• Two combined school rehearsals - All schools come together in a central location towards the end of Term 2 & start of Term 3 (Usually 1 in May - June & 1 in July)
• Concert - Including the combined schools dress rehearsal. Concerts are held in Term 3, usually in August (this will depend on which concert you choose to perform in.)
The Boite will host 2 concerts in Melbourne at Deakin Edge, Federation Square, a concert in Albury/Wodonga and a concert in Bairnsdale.
Tickets for the Melbourne Concerts on Thursday August 6 can be purchased here -
Tickets for the Bairnsdale Concert on Wednesday August 19 can be purchased here - http://www.trybooking.com/IEPA
Tickets for the Albury/Wodonga Concert on Friday September 4 can be purchased here - http://www.trybooking.com/IEPC
For more information call the Boite Office on (03) 9417 3550 (Tuesday - Friday 10am-6pm).
What we need to make a successful concert:
- A skilled and enthusiastic choir leader, teacher or parent willing to conduct weekly rehearsals with their group.
- A total choir enrolment of at least 200 students from 10 to 15 schools. Smaller choirs can be accommodated provided special funding is obtained.
- A venue with stage capacity to accommodate the choir and a three piece house band comfortably and safely.
- A venue with seating capacity of at least 400.
The Boite Schools Chorus:
- Gives students the opportunity to perform in a BIG concert with a choir of up to 300 voices, alongside vibrant professional musicians in an excellent venue.
- Gets students involved in serious music in a fun way. There is overwhelming evidence supporting the value of music in education.
- Involves learning music focused on a specific cultural theme, selected and arranged each year by outstanding Victorian musicians. Every song has a story.
- Introduces a broad range of cultural, social, geographical and environmental material for discussion in the classroom.
- Boosts confidence and encourages engagement and collaboration with choir members, many from other schools.
- Encourages a love of music.
PD workshops are provided for all teachers enrolling students in the choir. These can be provided in your area, provided we have enough teachers. Classroom groups and existing choirs are encouraged to participate. Extensive resources are provided - practice recordings, music scores, wordsheets, translations and teachers notes. Teachers Notes give further details about the cultural theme chosen. These notes which can be used to assist broader educational outcomes across the school.
How is it financed?
The Boite raises funds from 4 sources to support this project:
1. School fee of $250 to cover the Teacher PD workshop. This includes one class set - 15 copies - of teaching resources including music books, word sheets, teachers notes and rehearsal recordings. Additional sets of teaching resources can be ordered at modest cost later if required. This fee is paid in advance to confirm the schools enrolment in the project. Small schools, including one teacher schools, should contact us directly to negotiate an appropriate fee.
2. Student fee of $35 per student which covers the combined schools rehearsals, printed program, venue hire, concert production and performance T-shirt, always a popular item amongst the students.
3. Audience ticket sales. Adult tickets are $20 each and Under 18 tickets are $8. Group discounts are available for Adult tickets in groups of 10 or 20. This is an absolutely crucial part of the income stream.
4. Schools who find these fees difficult to meet should work with us to seek funding support. This project was supported by Besen Family Foundation, Helen MacPherson Trust and Arts Victoria in 2014. There are no guarantees but we are happy to help.
Everyone can be involved!
These are unauditioned choirs. Everyone can join. These singers have always produced excellent concerts.
The entire school can attend the performance and share the experience.
Families and friends enjoy seeing the performance.
Local media has shown great interest in this project.
We hope you can join us in this exciting project - One Africa!
To submit your interest for the 2015 Boite Schools Chorus One Africa concert series Click here